Alternative search engines for school research

I’ve been thinking about alternative search engines besides google, that would be more suitable for primary and lower secondary students.  The information provided by google is often more in-depth than what is needed by school students. Here are some of the search engines that my teachers’ network suggested and use.  Whilst provides a full Google search, all search results have Google Safesearch activated. This provides a level of protection from inappropriate content. is operated by an independent group that utilises the Google custom search engine. The sites in the database are contributed by Australian teachers, librarians and site volunteers. These sites are selected based on their content and ease of navigation. This has a graphical interface so great for visual learners. This is in Beta and information on the site states ‘We aim at radically improving the way users interact with knowledge and information online. Recent studies show that human thought processes have a strong visual component and that the brain can process images significantly faster than textual information. We are convinced that it is time for innovative, interactive, visual methods of working with and discovering facts and information instead of wading through ever longer lists of documents and search results’.

DuckDuckGo is a great simplified engine for kids, providing simplified information.

Twurdy: Another great site for children and those with low literacy as it identifies the reading difficulty of the articles.

Review of kids’ search engines: A review has been written by Debby Richman on popular kids’ search engines.

AOL for Kids
Cybersleuth Kids
Fact Monster
Kids Click
Lycos for Kids
Quintura Kids
Yahoo Kids

4 thoughts on “Alternative search engines for school research

1. Pingback: Teaching Today Latest Auctions

2. This is a good post. It is very informative and I found the dedicated search engines to be very useful. I agree that we have to protect students from taking in depth information which is not suitable for their learning. Thank you for sharing this information. I truly appreciate your effort.