Class blogging prep

How exciting!  We’re getting ready to start  class and student blogs!   We’ll be mirroring some of the activities that Anne Mirtschin’s class at ejourneys for technokids have done, so it’s great to have such a terrific lead to follow.  I’m really looking forward to exploring Web 2.0 tools via blogging and hopefully the students will be equally enthused.   I decided that it would be good to familiarise students with the blogosphere and a few other applications before we dived in, so for other teacher considering blogging, here is an outline of how we are starting:

Photo by Zappowbang

Lesson 1

1. introduce students to an internet portal. This can be an igoogle page, Pageflakes or Netvibes.  Students created a google account and  had fun adding a theme to their page and gadgets such as calendar, to-do list, quote of the day, news etc and I asked that they added a google reader.   They added games and fun things in another tab on their igoogle page.

2. I used the class blog I had created via global teacher to show them how to add a feed to their reader.  We looked at the page layout and widgets on the class blog: posts, comments, blogroll, clustr map, archives etc.  Students read the mission statement and code of conduct.  Thanks to Nancy Bosch for the use of a blog Mission Statement and Code of Conduct via her blog: A Really Different Place.  Parent permission letters are also being sent out as well as students signing a blogging guidelines agreement form.  (Thanks to Gail Casey from Geelong High School for Blogging Guidelines).

Lesson 2

1. Students are introduced to blogs via the links on the class blog.  They visisted The Next Generation of Bloggers, and student blogs at ejourneys for technokids, leaving a comment on at least two blogs.    Since we are awaiting parent permission forms to be returned, students will write a blog post in Word introducing themselves.  This will be added to their personal blogs when created.

Lesson 3

This lesson will be focused on internet safety awareness and I’ll be adding a wiki I’ve created  to the class blog for students to explore.

Lesson 4

This is the lesson we will be setting up blogs via global student. To do this, students students need an email address (which they have) and a username.  Students will add their class teacher as administrator.  To do this: students login and then go to ‘users’ on top right hand side of dashboard, ‘add user from community’, enter teacher email address, change role to ‘administrator’.  The teacher then goes to the class blog and open the ‘users’ link (top right hand side of dashboard), under ‘manage users’ a drop down menu will list the student blogs.

Once set up, students will spend the lesson adding a design to their blog, we’ll be looking at adding widgets and the dashboard in general.

Subsequent lessons

Once students are familiar with the basic blogging platform, we’ll be exploring Web 2.0 tools alongside blogging.

I would like to thank those educators who have mentored, guided and inspired me in what they are doing with their students and who have taught me so much.  Thanks to Sue Waters at The Edublogger, Mobile Technology at TAFE, for her patience in answering my inexperienced questions, John Pearce at Salty Solutions for his comprehensive coverage of my how-to-start-class-blogs questions, Elizabeth Davis at Classroom 2.0 for sharing her Computer Applications syllabus (which I have used as a basis for developing this Web 2.0 applications/blogging unit). And to Anne, who always kindly responds to my pleas and queries. To Vicki Davis who amazes me with her energy, wisdom, knowledge and ability to always be on the cutting edge of anything new!  What an amazing teacher!

Also thanks to all those who responded to my discussion on assessment criteria for blogs at Classroom 2.0. Thanks Nancy Bosch for sharing a blogging rubric.

Finally, to all those I may have omitted to mention.  I could stay up till midnight going through my blogroll listing everyone in this post. Please forgive me for not having the stamina to do so!

2 thoughts on “Class blogging prep

1. Hi Marie
    It is great to see the start of your journey now. I enjoy working with you and if you ever would like to have a go at live blogging with us or virtual classroom work, let me know. Thank you for your kind compliments and as to the people who you mentioned in your thankyous, they have been the ones who have helped me as well. In fact I have the great pleasure of working with Vicki Davis on the flatclassroom project – another amazing experience.

2. Pingback: Websites tagged "edublogger" on Postsaver